District Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday during the school year. The office is closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve Day, New Year’s Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, and Memorial Day.
Halloween has just passed by and we are two months into the school year. It has been awesome to witness the great work being done by all our school staff and students. Make sure you let them know you are thankful for their best efforts. A bit of positive feedback and attitude can go a long way. As Joel Osteen stated, “Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you’re going to live your life.”
Since we have moved into November and it is Minnesota, the weather has changed. First, please make sure all students and adults are dressed appropriately for the cold weather conditions that are prevalent in our area during the coming months. Second, below is our process for determining if school needs to be canceled at any point during the day due to bad weather conditions:
- We acknowledge that weather-related school closings put stress on families. We do everything we can to communicate as early as possible. We conduct yearly communication checkpoints so that all school members and community are getting the alerts in the format they prefer. Please contact the school if you need to change your contact information for our notification system (Infinite Campus Messenger ) so you are getting the messages when inclement weather arrives.
- When the weather forecast looks to be dangerous for our students, parents, and staff, we monitor the weather closely. I am in communication with NOAA Duluth (regional weather center) and Carlton Co. Transportation, area superintendents, and our transportation. We all look at a variety of websites and apps to get our information, including phone conversations and webinars with NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). This research starts the night before inclement weather, continues at about 4 a.m. and is monitored all day until students are released.
- We continue to monitor the weather, the roads, and the forecast throughout the day.
- We understand there are a lot of different scenarios for parents and what works best for them, so we make decisions that will provide the best outcome for most.
- We take safety very seriously and value all students, parents, and staff and want to assure safety for all. Please remember that, as parents, you always have the right to keep children home if you believe it is not safe for your child to attend school.
Please pay attention to local TV and Radio stations, as they will also cover school closings. We utilize the following:
- TV stations = KDLH, KBJR, WDIO, FOX, KARE 11, KSTP
- Radio stations = KDAL AM 610; KDAL FM 95.7; KDWZ FM 102.5; KTCO FM 98.9; WDSM 710; WGEE 970; WKLK/WMOZ; KQDS 94.9; 105.7 SAM
A reminder that when school is cancelled, so are all after school activities, including all practices and Bomber Club. Thank you for your cooperation and time, and a special thanks to all those who bring a positive attitude with them every day. The world and our Barnum students are the lucky recipients. Have a great day.
Superintendent Mike McNulty